by Mike French
Book 2 of The Dandelion Trilogy
In the Britain of 2034 overtime for married couples is banned, there is enforced viewing of family television (much of it repeats of old shows from the sixties and seventies), monitored family meal-times and a coming of age where twenty-five year-olds are automatically assigned a spouse by the state computer if they have failed to marry. Only the Overtime Underground network resists.
Dystopian science fiction, Blue Friday tells of a future where many live in fear of the Family Protection Agency, a special police division enforcing the strict legislation that has been introduced to protect the family unit. Combining dark humour with a vision of the future that inverts the classic dystopian nightmare, this latest novel from Mike French follows in the tradition of great Speculative Fiction satirists such as Jonathan Swift. Thoughtful, while at the same time prompting a wry smile in the reader, it reverses the usual perception of a future regime driven by productivity and industrial output at the expense of family, demonstrating that the converse may be no better.
Blue Friday is the second book of the Dandelion Trilogy. The first book in the trilogy was The Ascent of Isaac Steward. The third book, Convergence, will be published by Elsewhen Press in October 2013.
Blue Friday was published in a digital edition on 1 September 2012 and in paperback on 10 November 2012
ISBN: 978-1-908168-17-7 eBook Typical price £2.49 / €2.99 / $3.99
ISBN: 978-1-908168-07-8 paperback 192pp List price £9.99 / €11.99 / $15.99
Prices online may vary. UK and EU eBook price includes VAT.
- “witty with the wry humour that only satire can impart” – review of Blue Friday on SFcrowsnest
- “one of those books that stays with you for a while” – review of Blue Friday on Booklore
- “a slick, smooth read” – review of Blue Friday on Juxtabook
- “clever, shocking and darkly humorous” – review of Blue Friday on Risingshadow
- “takes the ‘work-life balance’… to the extreme” – Review of Blue Friday at Writer’s Little Helper
- “clever, beautifully written story” – Review of Blue Friday on The Compulsive Reader
TRAILER NOW ONLINE:
Available from all Apple iBookstores
Available from Kobobooks
Available from Barnes & Noble Nook UK
Paperback edition available from all good bookshops. If your local bookshop doesn’t have it in stock ask them to order it from the usual wholesalers or direct from us.
Advance Information Sheet available here